Job Title Engineering Technician/FOM Maintenance Technician
Auto req ID 17210BR
Full / Part Time Full-Time
Employment Type Regular
Country United States
This opportunity is in the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and Photon Science Laboratory () located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory () in Livermore, CA. The world's largest and highest-energy laser , the National Ignition Facility (NIF), was dedicated in May 2009. NIF has begun experiments that focus the energy of 192 laser beams on a BB-sized target filled with hydrogen fuel. NIF's goal is to fuse the hydrogen atoms' nuclei and produce net energy gain ? the same fusion energy process that makes the stars shine and provides the life-giving energy of the sun. As NIF experiments lead us towards ignition there are new opportunities for excellent talent to enter and help move the program into the next phase.
The successful candidate will be an employee of Akima Infrastructure Services, a premier government contractor at the Laboratory that partners with the Lab by finding motivated and well qualified candidates to support the success of their mission. Per Akima?s contract the candidate must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals for the position, a drug screen, a background investigation under clearance requirements from the Department of Energy, and the successful candidate must be a US citizen and at least 18 years of age . The employee will take day to day work direction from a Lawrence Livermore National Security (LLNS), LLC (prime Laboratory contractor to DOE) technical personnel. Pay, benefits and Human Resources activities will be provided by Akima (physically located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory).
NIF Operations has an opening for a Mechanical Technician in the Facility Operations and Maintenance (FOM) group to support the National Ignition Facility (NIF) Project. The Mechanical Technician will work under general supervision to perform minor modification, installation, repair and preventative maintenance tasks on a variety of systems around the NIF Site. The successful candidate will work within the NIF and Photon Science Directorate and will work closely with NIF program personnel, NIF safety, NIF construction, On-Site contactors, Security, Plant Engineering, Hazards Control, ES&H, Business Services and vendors and contractors. The successful candidate will report to the FOM Work Center Lead
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the Engineering Technician to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10?s or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
* Under general supervision will maintain a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment including:
Preventative and reactive maintenance of the following systems; Boiler/hot water; Chiller/cold water, RO/DI water, HVAC systems
+ General building maintenance
+ Outside grounds maintenance and materials cleanup
+ Wall penetrations and seismic anchoring
+ Perform preventative and reactive maintenance tasks as requested from work orders on all FOM systems
* Responsible and accountable for performing tasks in accordance with ES&H regulations and procedure, fulfills all integrated safety, security, environmental and property management responsibilities as appropriate
* Assume additional duties and projects in support of NIF in scope of function as assigned
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
* Customer service skills and communication skills necessary to interface well with internal and external customers
* Ability to follow and adhere to written/verbal operational and safety procedures in the course of completing job assignments
* Work from drawings and verbal/written instructions
* Ability to complete forms that are concise and readable
* Well organized, reliable, and proactive
* Experience working in a team environment, which includes scientists, engineers, contractors, and other maintenance personnel
* Ability to work in a dynamic multi-disciplinary maintenance environment with simultaneous commitments to safety, quality and efficiency
* Experience in mechanical assemblies and de-bugging systems in the solution of mechanical problems.
* Possess and maintain a valid California State Driver?s License
* Able to work scheduled overtime, emergency overtime, and different shifts
* Ability to work in confined spaces
* Ability to stand and walk up to 10 hours most of the work day, walking up and down stairs and inclines
* Lift and carry up to 50 pounds
* Experience using personal computers, MS Office, Excel, and other computerized systems
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
* Experience operating and maintaining a wide variety of mechanical and electrical equipment such as pumps, valves, and flow controls associated with heating, air conditioners, water supply, sewage treatment and related operating systems
* Experience as a Navy Nuclear Machinist mate.
* Experience repairing and maintaining loaders, aerial lifts, mobile cranes, hydraulic/electric elevators and stationary/portable operating systems
* Work experience or equivalent training in any of the following:
+ Hydraulic or pneumatic system
+ Machine tool use and parts fabrication
+ Sheet metal fabrication
+ Pipe fitting
+ HVAC maintenance/repair
+ Material rigging
+ Painting and sign making
+ Landscape maintenance
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are Equal Opportunity Employers. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position please contact, Recruiting Services, or x370. The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance. Please do not use the dedicated phone number above to call on the status of your job application if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance with the online application.