To lead, oversee and participate in the more complex and difficult work of staff responsible for providing skilled work in the maintenance, repair, alteration and construction of City buildings, facilities and fixtures including carpentry, plumbing, dry-wall, painting, welding, heating, air conditioning, venting, electrical, locks and hardware work; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to assigned areas of responsibility.
General supervision is provided by the Building Services Supervisor.
You can search for this position's full job description here.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* All behaviors comply with the Code of Conduct & Rules of Behavior outlined in Chapter 8 of the General Government Policies and Procedures Manual.
* Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
* Perform maintenance and repair of City facilities, equipment and buildings by performing a variety of skilled carpentry, electrical, painting, plastering, welding, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and mechanical repair work.
* Operate, maintain and repair a variety of various mechanical tools and equipment such as power saws, power sanders, drills, air compressors, paint sprayers, sewer augers, and various hand tools required for carpentry, plumbing, and maintenance skills.
* Assist employees in their areas of work in building maintenance methods and techniques, and in assembling and using equipment.
* Perform minor repair and replace plumbing fixtures including sinks, toilets, water fountains, faucets and pipes; clear obstructions from water and sewer lines.
* Perform skilled journey level carpentry work including the construction, installation, remodeling and repairing of furniture, cabinets, fences, partitions, walls, windows, doors and other carpentry work.
* Perform minor repair and install electrical lighting systems and fixtures.
* Participate in the remodeling of facilities including submitting cost estimates to supervisor and coordinating with outside contractors as authorized.
* Inspect building facilities to identify building maintenance needs. Drive to and from destinations as assigned by Supervisor.
* Install, maintain and repair a variety of floor coverings and roof coverings as required.
* Maintain keyless access control system including: keyless building entry, motion keypads, and electronic locks.
* Repair Nederman Exhaust Systems within the Fire Department.
* Work on call duty.
* Applicants/employees must prove that attendance is NOT an essential function of the job in order for the City of Mesquite NOT be required to accommodate an employee by providing infinite leaves of absences.
When assigned to HVAC
* Install, adjust, repair and inspect heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment including forced air furnaces, air conditioning units, exhaust fans, air filters, compressors, cooling towers and heat exchangers, pumps and motors.
* Oversee and direct work of staff assisting on HVAC related tasks.
* Manage building automation systems. Run, interpret, and analyze various reports related to building automation systems. Locate and correct deficiencies as indicated in reports.
* Maintain and manage smoke E-Vac systems.
When assigned to Plumbing
* Serve as lead in major plumbing installation, replace, and replacement projects, including: sinks, toilets, water fountains, faucets and pipes; clear obstructions from water and sewer lines.
* Oversee and direct work of staff assisting on plumbing related tasks.
* Install, inspect, repair and test back-flow devices. Repair and replace plumbing fixtures.
When assigned to Electrical
* Serve as lead in major electrical repairs and installation including: repair and installation of electrical lighting systems and fixtures.
* Oversee and direct work of staff assisting on electrical related tasks.
* Maintain programmable lighting systems.
* Troubleshoot and repair telephone lines.
* Install communication cables, new electrical service lines, security cameras, and alarm sounding devices.
* Trace electrical lines
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
High School Diploma or GED.
Two years of experience in one or more of the building maintenance trades.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Must possess a valid Driver's License.
Possession of licensure or certification in one of the following trades: Electrical, plumbing, air conditioning or locksmithing from the appropriate state, county or local issuing agency or the ability to obtain within the first six (6) months of employment.
Possession of aerial lift and fork lift certification, as required.
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, with overtime as needed
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for:
* making observations
* reading and writing
* operating assigned equipment
* communicating with others
* color vision discrimination.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which include the following:
* bending, crouching, squatting or crawling during building maintenance activities
* pushing, pulling or lifting heavy equipment or supplies occasionally weighing up to 74 lbs. (pushing/pulling 100 lbs.)
* climbing stairs/ladders and working at heights
* walking and standing for extended periods of time
* operating assigned equipment
* exposure to air contaminants, confining work spaces, dirt, electrical hazards, temperature extremes, noise, toxic materials and vibrations.