About The Community Builders, Inc.
Join a growing organization that is strengthening neighborhoods across the nation! The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is one of America?s leading non-profit real estate developers and owners. Our mission is to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their full potential.
The Senior Vice President of Property Management is based in the Boston corporate office, reports to the CEO and will direct TCB?s property operations, including developing systems, protocols and structures to organize both central office support and on-site property management. The division includes roughly 350 people and almost 90 properties in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest. There is a strong team in place, led by three Regional Vice Presidents and eight Portfolio Operations Managers.
He/She will also lead the division?s successful integration with other functions at TCB and will provide strategic advice and direction for the entire organization as a member of the TCB executive leadership team. The leader is responsible for maintaining property quality, establishing and meeting operating budgets, ensuring maximum occupancy, developing and growing a skilled and qualified management team committed to TCB?s mission, maintaining good relationships with residents, governmental agencies, investors, and clients and nurturing resident satisfaction, and growing the business via successful start-up of properties that have been developed or acquired by TCB.
- MANAGEMENTPERFORMANCE - Responsible for the efficient and cost-effective operation of all properties within TCB?s management portfolio of 9,000+ units. Responsible for improving our property management platform aimed to drive high performance and cost efficiency and ensure property quality is maintained and the public-private investment in housing is protected. With the support of the PM leadership team, oversees the completion of annual budgets for each property, tracks financial performance, monitors occupancy, tailors marketing strategies to achieve maximum occupancy, and ensures that financial goals and budgets are met. Ensures that the properties are operated in a manner consistent with federal, state, and lender financial guidelines and procedures. Oversees and monitors the monthly performance of each property and ensures that management staff anticipates and promptly addresses deviations and problems. Creates a culture of safety and preparedness to minimize claims.
- LEADERSHIP? Sets and articulates the direction of the division, ensures that management practices and approaches are up to date, and in line with industry standards, anticipates the need for change and moving the management team forward. Builds and maintains effective working relations between TCB?s affiliates and departments and is a valuable part of TCB?s Leadership Team.
- BUILDINGFORGROWTH.Builds and adjusts systems and staffing to effectively accommodate growth of property management generated through a combination of new construction, acquisitions and possible third-party property management. Creates property on-boarding systems to effectively transition properties from development to successful operation.
- HUD AND AGENCY RELATIONSHIPS ? Ensures that all properties comply with the requirements of HUD and all applicable agencies, and that the properties are run consistent with HUD and other agency goals. Ensures that adequate record keeping and reporting systems are in place. Responsible to ensure that site managers are trained in agency and other legal monitoring requirements.
- PLANNING ? Develops an Annual Management Plan which includes goals for the property management department. Reviews with support staff to insure compatibility with overall goals and requirements. Supports PM staff in the implementation of their plans.
- HOUSINGQUALITY& CURB APPEAL ? Creates systems and conducts site visits to assess property conditions and quality. Leads property management staff, often in partnership with asset management and development staff, to create sustainable solutions to site condition challenges.
- PERFORMANCEREPORTING? Ensures adequate reporting systems are in place and that Managers are accountable for the properties they manage. Responsible for revising and monitoring a measurement and reporting system to ensure that the delegation level for each VP of Property Operations and other staff are appropriate, performance standards are met, and adequate records of performance are maintained.
- STAFF DEVELOPMENT ? Provides for a positive work environment for employees. Ensures that management is involved in the selection of qualified, talented and diverse staff consistent with TCB?s recruiting goals and procedures. Provides on-the-job and formal management training and coaching as needed to improve skills. Participates in development of training plans consistent with company needs.
- COMMUNICATION? Maintains effective communications within the department. Encourages communication between properties and the functional departments and fosters a culture of collaboration.
- RECORDS ? Leads team in overseeing adequate recordkeeping for all properties, including timely access to records among investors, owners, agencies and clients.
- INVESTMENTSELECTION ? Contributes to project selection decisions as part of the TCB Project Review Committee, especially as they pertain to advancing the Committee?s understanding of appropriate operating expenses and market conditions of a potential new development or acquisition.
- COMMUNITYSUCCESS ? Partners with Community Life division to develop evidence-based community engagement, resident resource building and strategic partnerships aimed at creating opportunities for residents to achieve personal aspirations for success.
- OTHER? Performs other assignments, special projects and works with other agencies as assigned. Oversees that adequate safety and security programs exist.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, with an ability to relate to employees at all levels of the organization
- Good decision-making skills, including the ability to push decisions lower in the organization when appropriate
- Collaborative leadership approach, with a willingness to build partnerships across functions and build a cohesive team
- Demonstrated experience in the management of HUD and tax credit programs is a must
- Ability to run a complex multi-faceted organization
- Ability to lead a growing organization that must proactively adjust to a future volume of operations, activity, and needs that exceed current operations
- Ability to set goals, monitor performance, and engage in sound fiscal management
- Ability to complete physical site inspections on an as needed basis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to leverage systems and data to assessing management performance and making decisions about how to improve portfolio wide performance.
? Computer literate and understanding of property management software
Education & Experience:
The Community Builders, Inc. is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- BA, Business Management or equivalent, advanced degrees highly desired
- 10+ years progressive management/supervisory experience necessary with at least 5+ years overseeing a property management division
The Community Builders, Inc. ("TCB") is a recognized leader in the public/private transformation of distressed properties into vibrant, mixed-income communities. Established in 1964, TCB has over fifty years of experience planning and implementing comprehensive neighborhood revitalization projects in fifteen states. TCB was among the pioneers in nonprofit use of the tax code to raise equity for affordable housing, and at the forefront in crafting citywide partnerships supporting large-scale redevelopment and comprehensive neighborhood revitalization efforts through new uses of public housing funds and of project-based assistance. Over the years, TCB has assembled more than $2.5 billion in project financing to construct and/or preserve 320 residential developments resulting in over 25,000 affordable and mixed-income housing units. Visit for more information.