Community Manager - New ConstructionThe Community Builders, Inc. (TCB)
Join a growing organization that is strengthening neighborhoods across the nation! TCB is a nationally recognized nonprofit developer, owner, and manager of affordable and mixed-income housing and commercial properties, with more than 25,000 units of housing developed over 50 years. Our mission is to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their full potential. The TCB-managed portfolio consists of more than 9,500 apartments in 120 communities located in 11 states. The portfolio includes affordable, market-rate and commercial properties serving seniors, families and persons with disabilities.Location: (Washington DC)
The Beacon Center is being developed as a partnership between The Community Builders, Inc. and Emory Beacon of Light (EBOL), a non-profit affiliate of Emory United Methodist Church. The project is a 175,000 square foot mixed-use facility located at 6100 Georgia Avenue in Washington, D.C. (Ward 4) expected to open in the summer of 2018. The Beacon Center includes 99 affordable housing units, church renovation, a two-level parking structure, 30,800 square feet of multipurpose and office space, and 9,500 square feet of recreation and community space. Of the 99 housing units, 91 are reserved for families at or below 60% of area median income and 8 will be used as permanent supportive housing units for the formerly homeless. Amenities on the property will include a Business Center, Fitness Center, Resident Lounge and Outdoor Courtyard area. A proposed street-level restaurant will include a culinary arts training program and will be managed by our partner.Position Description:
Under the direction of the Portfolio Operations Manager, the Community Manager is responsible for all phases of community operations, including integral involvement during construction and leading the lease-up. Must be knowledgeable, friendly, and energetic. The primary role during lease-up is sales with a strong emphasis on customer satisfaction, meeting goals, and achieving results. This position will be responsible for the leasing process from start to finish, minimizing vacancies, maximizing qualified income, maximizing tenant retention, assisting with the marketing plan, and making adjustments as needed. A commitment to excellent customer service, follow up with leads and helping prospective residents resolve issues as they arise will be essential contributors to success.
On behalf of TCB and our partner, the community manager will become the face of this new and exciting property. In addition to leasing, the manager will be our representative to the surrounding community. Once the property is fully leased and stabilized, s/he must manage the company?s objectives and property operating budget, with the primary goals of increasing the cash flow, balancing the budget, maintaining the physical asset and providing a quality living environment, with superior customer service for residents. This role will establish and maintain a positive, productive working relationship with the property?s team members, ensuring their adherence to TCB?s Mission, policies, and procedures; and that the site is in compliance with regulatory requirements.Essential Functions during lease-up:
Essential Functions once lease up finishes and transitions into operations:
- Greet, build rapport, pre-qualify, follow up and close the lease with prospects from phone, email and site visit traffic
- Responsible for community and apartment tours, selling features and benefits of the neighborhood and the property and overcoming objections
- Understand and implement site?s leasing criteria in order to pre-qualify and process approved applicants
- Ensure that rental applications are processed in a timely manner and work with relevant staff to ensure that the verification process is completed in a timely manner
- Process appropriate denial/ineligible letters in a timely manner in accordance with TCB policy
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date waiting and transfer lists (if applicable), including purging in accordance with TCB policy
- Maintain prospect, applicant and resident data, utilizing TCB standardized forms from guest cards to lease files and entering data from these forms into site logs as required
- Compile reports with traffic/leasing information, work order information and area info as needed for upper management
- In conjunction with the Marketing Director, prepare rent comp studies quarterly or as required to maximize income
- Assist in developing marketing plans including events, internet ads, print ads, outreach, marketing copy, order marketing materials, placing ads and submitting for approval to TCB?s marketing department
- Responsible for completing the lease package for each rental, including renewals as applicable, renewal notices and questionnaires.
- Complete all follow up including prospects within 24 hours of initial contact/visit and new resident follow up within 30 days after move-in
- Schedule and perform move-in orientations and inspections and maintain resident handbook
- Responsible for the appeal of the rental office show unit and all made-ready vacants
- Schedule leasing office hours to meet the expected results, including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Understand and adhere to the AFHMP (Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan), as applicable.
- Ability to maintain professional conduct in all situations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Develop and manage operating budgets, billing processes, operating reports, and all site-based accounting functions including invoicing and expense tracking; monitor revenue transactions and rent collection; nonpayment of rent processes; collection agency follow-up and reporting; leasing procedures and compliance with Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan and other regulatory requirements; approve and submit employee time sheets; enact cost control measures as needed.
- Oversee upkeep of the property curb appeal, inspection of apartments, market ready units, safety and preventive maintenance, preparation for local, state or federal audits or inspections, monitoring of work order system, and incident documentation and reporting for risk management.
- Provide outstanding customer service to residents, ensure that all appropriate communications are distributed on a timely basis, and follow up on service requests or complaints, or issues involving violations of building rules or resident policies. Work closely with Community Life staff, residents and resident groups to provide and advertise activities and services available on site and in the local area, in order to provide access and foster a sense of community and wellbeing.
- Recruit, train, coach, manage and motivate team members and provide evaluations and recommendations to HR.
- Corporate Committees Group participation
- Attend trainings, seminars and conferences
- Available for emergencies, on call duties, resident functions and weekends as needed.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Excellent budget and financial management skills
- Knowledge of all regulatory programs, polices and Federal Housing Laws and Guidelines required
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Yardi or other industry software experience required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Knowledge of Federal Fair Housing Laws & Guidelines a plus
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills are necessary to be successful in this role
- Ability to speak a second language is a plus!
- Knowledge of all regulatory programs and policies regarding housing and affordable housing are necessary
- Leadership skills and understanding of effective management of personal development for all employees desired
Ability to move around the building or site; able to move up to 50 pounds; able to work in outdoor conditions. Some travel to local sites may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education & Experience:
BA/BS and 5 + years in progressive career path in Residential Property Management required, 2 of which should be in a supervisory or management role. Industry designations such as COS, LIHTC, ARM?, CPMC?, etc. preferred and LIHTC certification required within six months of hireThe Community Builders, Inc. is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Community Builders, Inc. ("TCB") is a recognized leader in the public/private transformation of distressed properties into vibrant, mixed-income communities. Established in 1964, TCB has over fifty years of experience planning and implementing comprehensive neighborhood revitalization projects in fifteen states. TCB was among the pioneers in nonprofit use of the tax code to raise equity for affordable housing, and at the forefront in crafting citywide partnerships supporting large-scale redevelopment and comprehensive neighborhood revitalization efforts through new uses of public housing funds and of project-based assistance. Over the years, TCB has assembled more than $2.5 billion in project financing to construct and/or preserve 320 residential developments resulting in over 25,000 affordable and mixed-income housing units. Visit for more information.