The Service Technician reports to the Property Manager under the supervision of the Service Manager and performs general maintenance and repair to ensure apartment units and other property facilities are in good working order. Responsibilities include diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) units; electrical appliances, outlets, and light fixtures; plumbing, carpentry, and locks. The Service Technician follows a planned preventative maintenance schedule and follows up with residents after repairs are complete. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting with preparing vacant apartment units for rental and also landscape and renovation projects.
The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA's Core Values. Those values include:
• Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
• Communicating openly and with integrity
• Embracing opportunities
• Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
• Receives requests for service maintenance, prioritizes work orders and handles each in the most efficient manner.
• Examines and diagnoses problems with heating, ventilation and air conditioning units for property facilities. Determines the best method to repair or replace all or part of the unit. Makes repairs and/or replacements according to standard. Performs preventative maintenance on HVAC units by replacing filters, cleaning coils, etc.
• Repairs and replaces furnished kitchen appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers. May contact an outside vendor to make more advanced or severe repairs or replacements.
• Performs minor to moderate-level plumbing repairs, replacements, and/or installations including repairing leaks and removing clogs in sinks and toilets.
• Performs minor electrical repairs and replacement of light fixtures and related items.
• Repairs locks and other miscellaneous items.
• May perform painting projects ranging from full interior painting of property units to minor touch up and repair of walls and woodwork.
• May perform "make ready" projects for the preparation of vacant units available for prospective tenants.
• Cleans carpets as assigned.
• May perform swimming pool maintenance or other facility and/or landscape projects to ensure property aesthetics meet or exceed standards.
• Adheres to MAA safety and hazard communications programs, policies and procedures and maintains a safe work environment.
• Works irregular hours (evenings, weekends), including on-call and overtime hours, as required by the MAA 24-hour routine maintenance guarantee.
• Operates a motor vehicle to transport tools and materials between work sites.
• Attends and participates in technical training programs to maintain and enhance knowledge and skills.
• Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business.
• High school diploma/GED and one to three years of experience in facility maintenance and/or mechanical repair required
• HVAC experience required
• EPA Type II or Universal and/or Pool Certification required at hire or within 90 days of assuming the position. CAMT is required in Florida only
• Valid driver's license from the state of residence required
• Associate's degree in a related technical or mechanical field preferred
• Commercial maintenance experience with plumbing, electrical, and janitorial strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of heating and air conditioning unit maintenance, trouble shooting, and repair
• General knowledge of the repair and maintenance of appliances, lighting fixtures, and plumbing
• Knowledge of occupational health and safety regulations and precautions
• Knowledge and skills to operate common and specialized tools for repairs and maintenance
• Ability to visually inspect units, grounds, and other aspects of the property to determine adherence to standards
• Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing with professionalism when interacting with tenants and property management
• Knowledge and skills to organize, prioritize, and meet deadlines
• Customer service and problem-solving skills
• Ability to read, interpret and apply written instructions for repair and maintenance of equipment
• Attention to details
• Basic computer/technical skills to operate mobile computing or communications devices
Physical and Environmental Requirements
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, bend, walk use hands and fingers to control objects, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs and ladders, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, and hear. The associate must be able to lift 50 pounds individually and up to 100 pounds with assistance devices (dollies, hand trucks, additional persons).
• Must be able to see and read to complete forms, read reports, and visually determine the correct working order of physical aspect of units and other property facilities. Frequently needs to see small details.
• While performing the duties of this job the associate primarily works in an outdoor environment exposed to adverse weather conditions as well as dirt and/or dust.
Visit to apply online.
Drug Free Workplace