Shea Properties - Find Awesome.
Shea Properties is always looking for talented people who are interested in beginning or continuing their careers in real estate. With a portfolio that includes 9,000 apartment units and 4.9 million square feet of commercial space in California, Colorado and Washington-and an amazing pipeline of future projects-Shea Properties can help you find your awesome.
Our associates love the collaborative, supportive, family-friendly work environment. Our leadership team encourages input at all levels and embodies Shea's Core Values of Honesty and Integrity, Respect for Others, Teamwork and Competitive Spirit. Learn more about us on WORKWITHSHEA.com and follow the VIEW ALL JOBS link to apply.
The Service (Maintenance) Manager is responsible for managing the day-to-day maintenance of the apartment community in accordance with Shea Properties standards, policies and procedures. The Service Manager performs and/or delegates specific carpentry, plumbing, painting, electrical, HVAC, masonry, appliance and other general and preventative maintenance repairs.
- Prioritizes, completes and/or delegates maintenance work and maintenance service requests for the apartment community.Completes related paper work in an accurate and timely manner.Utilizes computer software to track the status of open and closed work orders.
- Assigns work orders and reviews safety requirements on each; review with the service technician as appropriate.
- Must participate and lead lineup.
- Performs and/or delegates specific carpentry, plumbing, painting, electrical, HVAC, masonry and other general maintenance in accordance with Company standards and local city, state and federal building codes when applicable.May repair/maintain various property emergency and security systems.
- Schedules apartment maintenance turnover process per established policies.Inspects all rent ready apartments to ensure all maintenance items are completed and the apartment is ready for move-in.
- Completes move-out checklist assigning appropriate resident move-out charges, and forwards invoices to the management office for approval and completion of the statement of deposit.
- Assists in obtaining competitive bids for budgeted maintenance and capital improvements as requested by the Community Manager or Regional Manager.
- Schedules and inspects all vendor/contractor work performed to ensure quality and completeness, and compliance with company standards.
- Purchases inventory supplies adhering to the property budget and company polices and procedures.
- Reviews, codes, and approves all vendor invoices in Avid Exchange.
- In conjunction with the Community Manager, participates in the preparation and management of the operating budget and monthly variance reports.
- Inspects the physical apartment site including all garages, carports, driveways, streets, stucco, siding, pools, saunas, building, recreational facilities, identifying all areas in need of immediate or future repairs and maintenance and provides an inspection report to the Community manager for review at the end of each month.
- Conducts weekly property inspection of all common areas of the property and completes the Property Inspection Checklist informing the Community Manager of all extraordinary items, and scheduling all required work.
- Makes recommendations to the Community Manager on new technologies, methods, and materials for improving operating costs.
- Schedules and/or provides on-call maintenance for evenings, weekends and holidays per company policy.
- Provides and maintains his/ her own hand tools customarily used in the industry and building trades.
- Conducts bi-weekly safety meetings in accordance with Shea Properties written HAZCOM Program.
- Participates in staff selection/interview process. Recruits, hires, and trains all service staff under the approval and direction of the Community Manager and Regional Manager.
- In conjunction with the Community Manager, supervises and provides support and direction to the service staff. Resolves personnel issues and supports team building with positive and open communication.
- Under direction and approval of the Community Manager, prepares annual reviews for all direct reports, sets goals and objectives and implements Development Plans for all associates as needed..
- Supports and motivates staff to participate in company sponsored classes and provided training. Ensures compliance with all mandatory training.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Actual job duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the size of the community.
- Schedules on-call maintenance, per policy, for evenings, weekends and holidays as scheduled.
Technical/Professional Knowledge (Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience)
- Ability to perform advanced level maintenance related tasks.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; ability to give clear direction and respond to inquiries.Must be able to speak effectively to customers.
- Understanding of budget process. Ability to read and interpret numerical information.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Project management skills including planning, organizing, and coordinating tasks.
- Negotiate and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to operate hand tools.
- Knowledge of First Aid and Safety procedures.
- Prior experience in managing a staff (supervise, train, coach, develop, motivate, interview, hire, terminate) and lead by example.
- Computer proficient with knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Word/Excel/Outlook) and Yardi preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years property management experience performing maintenance related job duties and with at least 1 year at the management level preferred.
The Service Manager works on-site at an apartment community and interfaces with external/internal customers, residents, and vendors on a regular basis. The position work schedule (days/hours) varies depending on the property. Hours are usually scheduled from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.or 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and are typically scheduled to work a weekend day (Sat and/or Sun). Must be available to work over-time as needed and work on-call schedule. The Service Manager should be flexible and readily available depending on the needs of the property. Must be able to travel as needed, 10-15% of the time.
Shea Properties is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
- Health coverage (medical, dental, vision, chiropractic)
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) with discretionary company match
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Shea home purchase discount & Shea apartment discount
- A Live Well Work Well healthy lifestyle program
- An Employee Assistance Program
- Discretionary profit sharing
- Other lifestyle perks
- Accident insurance
- Critical illness insurance
- Identity theft program
- Will preparation program
- Secure travel